As many of you may know by now, we have been to the ER twice this week, once for me and once for Lia. I have had enough of the emergency room to last me a LONG time!
This last Sunday I attempted to make some yummy banana bread. I had the mix almost completed and ready to bake. I used my Cuisinart hand mixer to mix the batter. I love (or maybe I should say I used to love that appliance). It has so many great attachments and does so many things! Unfortunately, I was not using any attachments that day, just the blade. If you don't know what I'm talking about, here is the main part of the appliance.
Well, the batter was a little thick and I decided to try to scrape it off... with my finger. I had the mixer in my right hand and was using my left index finger to clean it... still plugged in, when I hit the on button. The rest is history. I saw blood everywhere. Taylor ran downstairs and wrapped my hand up and ran across the street to have our neighbors listen for our sleeping and sick sweet baby and off to the ER we went. We called my Mom on the way and she headed over to be with Lia and my friend Janna came over and bless her heart, she actually cleaned up my blood in the kitchen. I have such amazing friends!!
It was nice and slow at the ER thankfully and from check in to discharge we were only there 2 and half hours later.
I was so relieved when the doctor removed my towel and my fingertip was still there... although it was a close call!
Ended up with 10 stitches and a broken finger! I am still in shock! I'll spare you the gory photos. I went to a hand surgeon on Monday who said the wound looks great... he doesn't think any surgery is needed although I may have some long term stiffness where I broke the bone on the first joint. I don't get my stitches out for 2 weeks and have to wear my splint for 4 weeks. They gave me a much smaller splint than the ER though, so this is what I look like now.
Hardly even noticeable! :) I am amazed at how quick I have adapted my typing to type with only 9 fingers!
Also took Lia to the pediatrician Monday where they said her fever that she ran all weekend was likely a virus and she had no signs of any ear infection. By Tuesday she had a rash that was itching her like crazy and by Tuesday night she was completely inconsolable, screaming like she was in some serious pain and discomfort. I have never seen her like that before and let me tell you, it BROKE my heart.
We rushed off to the ER again- this time to an after hours Childrens' Hospital ER. After a thorough exam they too said whatever it is, it is viral. Ears still looked clear although her throat was fire red. They did a strep test, which came back negative so far. They did give her a big ol' dose of Motrin and Benadryl and some numbing drops in her ears and all that seemed to really help. They think she may have had Roseola, and now we should be on the upside of it all.
Poor little thing was so tired at the ER she fell asleep laying across both our laps. Here are a few sweet photos.
She stayed home today and Yia Yia and Auntie Carlie came to babysit. They said she was pretty much back to her happy little self today and her rash seems to be almost gone. Thank God! I think everyones prayers certainly helped my little baby! Here is a picture today sitting in her chair reading to herself. Not too sweet!!!
Hopefully, she continues to feel better and is 100% by Christmas! Only 2 more days!






No comments:
Post a Comment